Tuesday, May 15, 2007

To Jobo, With Love

Some Quick Hits on Today's thoughts:

I don't have the energy to hold down a full time job, produce a once a week TV show, do anything physical, think about GRE's and Grad School, research Green Energy, and have a social life. I just don't. Something has to give. And I can't just drop the one of those that seems the least important to me right now.

****************************************
More info on the Tintin Movie.

Getting more excited about this movie. Seems like good people are combining to work on it. And the fact that they are going to do three movies excites me for some reason, like they will give the time to the thing that I (in my nerdy focus) believes that it should get.

It does look like the article will answer the first part of my concerns: What will it look like?

Jackson said WETA will stay true to Remi's original designs in bringing the cast of Tintin to life, but that the characters won't look cartoonish.

"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people — but real Herge people!"

That. Is. Cool.

*************************************************
To bad the NBA has no testicles, and hates its fans. You never like to see a thug break the rules and then get rewarded for it. I really really hope that the rest of the Suns throw together a great effort tomorrow and somehow pull off the win, but you got to feel like Robert Horry cheated to get the Spurs a championship. As someone who has liked and defended the Spurs style of play for a long time, this sucks. Go Suns.

**************************************************
And finally, after reading a lot of Vitriol from people that I like on the left about Jerry Falwell's death this morning, and bracing myself for the great man anthologies that are sure to come from the right, I have some thoughts:

  1. I hate Jerry Falwell. Really hate him. Hate the fact that he, allegedly spoke for me and for where I am from, hate his hypocrisies, despise his stance on almost all issues, but also hate that he allowed people to lump Christians and people from the conservative south together as frothing lunatics, and thus discount them. He, more then anyone I can think of this side of Karl Rove, is directly responsible for the fact that no one listens to anything the other side says anymore. I challenge anyone to come up with a more Machiavellian and cut throat person that will still be hailed by many Americans as a good and moral person.
  2. I do not like celebrating death. Disgrace, fine. Failure, sure. But Death seems weird to me. So I guess, at the end of the day, I'm not glad he's dead, I'm really just sorry that he ever lived. I wish that he had never had come along and polarized America to the point that his Legacy is damn near immortal.
  3. I think its crucial to remember that Fundamentalism cripples people. I honestly do not understand, from the bottom of my heart, how Jerry Falwell could claim that the prophet Muhammad was a terrorist, while continuing on the path he chose.
  4. Working hard at something, and believing fervently in what you do is not enough for you to be a good person. Its a great start, but you have to avoid being evil.
  5. A pretty great quote from another reverend that I find a lot of solace in seems like a good closer. Clearly, I need to follow this advice myself, because I can't forgive Falwell at all. But I don't get how he and MLK fall under the umbrella of the Christian God.
    “It’s not only necessary to know how to go about loving your enemies, but also to go down into the question of why we should love our enemies. I think the first reason that we should love our enemies, and I think this was at the very center of Jesus’ thinking, is this: that hate for hate only intensifies the existence of hate and evil in the universe. If I hit you and you hit me and I hit you back and you hit me back and go on, you see, that goes on ad infinitum. It just never ends. Somewhere somebody must have a little sense, and that’s the strong person. The strong person is the person who can cut off the chain of hate, the chain of evil. “

No comments: