Sunday, April 15, 2007

One Million little questions

The real question behind the entire commune concept rests with money. Where do you get it? Who gives it to you? How do you guarantee these mysterious backers some sort of product when its all said and done? And, most importantly, how much does it all cost?

Now, I don’t know who reads this. I used to think no one did, but then there was that incident with the ol’ job that convinced me that many people might well be stumbling their way here, so im putting it out there in two parts:

How much does it cost to put up a building? Does anyone have any actual numbers here? (Dad, I’m looking at you. Is there some magical number that a standard contractor asks for a standard square footage on a house? Can you even ballpark it without a floor plan of the different houses? What part of the cost of building is materials, and how much is design and labor?) I don’t even know what sort of assumptions I allowed to make!

Second question, once I have my imaginary number, is: from whom? How does one start going about funding a project like this? Who does one ask? Is it magazines? Government grants? If anyone out there has a clue where THEY would start looking, let me know. I’m looking, but not in the right places yet.

As I think about it now, I keep coming up with huge huge numbers for my operating budget for a few year long process. So, should I A)break it down into segments and try and get people/companies to sign on as they go? Or, B) come out with a large number and keep it in peoples heads the entire time? Crazy amount of hypothetical, really, but I’m open for suggestions on how I should proceed. Adam, want to help me mock up what buildings we would need?

No comments: