Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Straight up Amazing. I was fortunate enough to go to the world premier (that's right, they called it the WORLD premier) tonight, and it was straight up absurd. My intrepid traveling companion S.D. and I were nearly overwhelmed at the red carpet, complete with a life size costumed Fry, Shake, Meatball, and ?Baby Stewie?? Once inside, we actually had to check our bags, and go through a metal detector to make sure we aren't trying to tape the show and make cash off it. Cell phones were not only turned off, they were taken from us by force. S.D. was attacked by a roving pack of animators. It was a crazy scene,

But its cool: free popcorn, and every person associated with the movie was there. As a lowly press person, I had no special treatment, and they didn't invite me to the after party, but it worked out. I absconded with a piece of memorabilia non the less.

:::SPOILER ALERT:::
(only not really, cause you can't spoil it!)
I loved this movie. It was AMAZING. The writers and animators did a great job, even down to the "please be polite and don't litter in the aisles" opening song. Spectacular. However, I would not recommend the movie to those who have not watched the show. Cause that's all it is. One larger, longer, version of the show. I confess that going in I was concerned, because the traditional show really can't hold a plot line for more then ten minutes, and even then they kill three of the characters per episode. But I needn't have worried. They didn't even try for a feature length storyline! You probably have 15-20 minutes of "plot" all movie long. There are enough flashbacks, false stories, and odd time travels that the whole movie played like a well conceived episode of the TV show.

The movie attempts to explain where our hero's came from: Why IS there a giant shake, fries and a meatball? and what the HELL do all of those opening and closing scene's really mean?
Well, those questions really aren't answered. I really do feel like the movie is a big F-U to the world of movie watchers. In joke after in joke. Stupid punch line after stupid punch line. And, of course, I have never laughed harder.

Adam, your going to freaking love it.

2 comments:

Sam said...

My gratitude for that experience is immeasurable. I have been thinking about the movie all damn day. -S.D.

Unknown said...

seeing the movie on april twentieth...
I. CANT. FUCKING. WAIT.