Tuesday, February 20, 2007

First Carryover from Old Blog: New Stuff.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know about music all that much. I occasionally find myself on the cutting edge of pop, and I usually lapse a little ways behind. I remember very clearly when I was very young, being quizzed by Kashuo Bennett (a very cool kid, and, might I add, someone who has never outgrown cool in my mind) quizzing me on my pop likes and dislikes. I, embarrassed to admit i had no idea what he was talking about, answered random yes or No's to avoid detection. I think at the time that I voted for U2, Queen and Prince, but against ACDC, the Police and many other such regimental forms of music naming. I narrowly dodged a bullet, I realize later, when I claimed to have never heard of "Dragon Kin" a band I suspect Kash made up specifically to trip me up.

With that said, however, I do know one thing. Gnarls Barkley is a really good group. And I will not have them go the way of say, Maroon Five. It should not be that Pop song that everyone loved for 5 months, only to go the way of overplayed award shows and classic bar songs that everyone sings along to but then claims not to like. Gnarls Barkley just put out a really good album. It's solid almost top to bottom, and while a few songs get a little R&B muddy for me, I really think they got some solid potential as musicians. So, please stop this nonsense. Don't let them go the way of one hit wonders who never get the love for their other works. Just because you hear Crazy so often it makes your eyes bleed, don't let it break you!

Stay Strong, Soldier.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Might I add some similar hopefully-not-lost-and-gone-forevers...

-"The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World
-"Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" by Nine Days
-"Stacey's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne (new album coming soon, methinks)
-"You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals

All hail rock and roll.